Pages

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Research - townscapes

Patricia Cain is a local artist of whom I have visited a couple of exhibitions. She concentrates on construction in the urban environment and does large format paintings, drawings and etchings of very complex structures. She recently had a solo exhibition at the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow focusing on the construction of the Riverside Museum which opened in November 2011.  This building holds the Museum of Transport and was designed by internationally-renowned architect, Zaha Hadid.

Laying Out Pastel 84 x 59cm
Partick Redevelopment No.2 - Cream Ink 84 x 59 cm

Riverside Museum VII  Pastel and Acrylic 170 x 122 cm 2009

Riverside Scaffolding V Pastel 140 x 122cm

Riverside Triptych II Pastel 315 x 170cm
 The drawings are amazingly complicated and I think doing something like that would drive me potty but I can really appreciate the work that's gone into them. She uses pastel a lot which is interesting for this type of subject, you wouldn't normally associate pastels with subjects requiring lots of perfect lines and edges. I would love to know her technique. I guess she could use masking tape to create these edges. I think I would just end up with a big mess!

No comments: